What an exciting day Sunday May 3rd was for the club at the 30th Anniversary of Ironman Australia in Port Macquarie.
Logan Triathlon Club had 6 members compete and complete Ironman Australia, which is a
- 3.8 km swim
- 180 km bike ride
- 42.2 km full marathon run to finish
- All within 17 hours to complete and be called an Ironman
There were an additional 14 family & friends make the trip south enthusiastically supporting all members along with numerous more supporting online and through trackers at home.
The days leading up were very concerning with torrential rain and gale force winds but the Ironman Gods were smiling on the day as the skies cleared with some welcome cloud cover to keep it cooler during the day and a bit warmer in the evening; and the rain held off until late in the bike leg and was only light showers anyway.
As usual, the atmosphere in the Finisher’s chute was electric, even when power was lost momentarily a few times, with supporters chanting, clapping, slapping the signs, and cheering the competitors as they came down the red carpet shouting “You are an Ironman!” as they crossed the line. It was arguably even better than when the power was on.
The results are –
- Keven Riordan (40-44 age group) and Mark Norris (50-54) completed their first Ironman in 13:21:38 & 12:18:18 respectively.
- Mick McGann (50-54) completed his 2nd in 12:47:11.
- Anthony Fletcher (45-49) and Melissa Muggeridge (55-59) completed their 3rd in 12:40:03 & 16:09:30 respectively.
- Ross Lewis (55-59) completed an amazing 19th Ironman & 17th Ironman Australia in 12:18:30.
While we all see it as an amazing feat, and rightly so, they would all tell you anyone can do an Ironman. All you need is the desire to do one and put the training in the lead-up to it; and with 3 coaches all completing this year, they’re more than capable of helping anyone achieve their goals.
Logan Triathlon is club is very proud of our 6 IRONMAN Finishers (yes, even the girls are an Ironman) and congratulate you all on your amazing achievement.
As Mark Norris said after he finished, “Now that ….. was a REAL triathlon!”
Well done team! Now for some well deserved rest & recovery.